Jahiem's blog

Welcome ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

finishing my animatic

| 0 comments

I was now ready to start and finish my actual animatic, so I worked hard to do it. The first thing i did was re-draw and colour all of my frames into 16:9 boxes, using all of my previous work for reference.

Next, i recorded my sound and foly; i had to think outside of the box for these, as most of my sounds weren’t naturally occuring. I started off by recording a minute of ambience for both outside on the street side, and insiide my room (although it was mostly just silent). I also recorded some ambience for a boiling hob, which would play when Arnika begins to make her potion.

Next, i used a keyboard to make some quick scores; one for the intro, one for Arnika’s introduction and one for the outro. I also used different settings on the keyboard for additional outside sounds, like a dog barking and a bird tweeting.

After this i recorded the small sound effects and the voice lines. I used mostly just average household items for the small sounds (my baby sister’s xylophone for the magic, a tap for the rain, some pouring water, etc.) and the voices were all recorded by me and my brother.

With the sounds and the drawings ready, i was able to put it all together with editing. I used a software called VSDC video editor, and i ensured that the aspect ratio was 16:9. Putting everything together was fairly straight forward and i was able to finish with ease.

Overall i had a lot of fun with this project, even though it was a lot of work. I think i might have messed up the aspect ratio a bit since there’s a black boarder, but i think it still looks okay. This was helpful in learning about pre production, as i now have more of a clear understanding of how animations are planned.