Jahiem's blog

Welcome ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

cats n’ dogs final; final changes, creating the animation, final thoughts

| 0 comments

We worked on a new storyboard after our presentation, aiming to implement our new changes. Here’s the animatic, to show our final draft before animating;

changes; middle scene removed, first scene longer, we didn’t end up removing any dogs, some added sounds to fill emptiness. The boy is also now the human inside the book.

This animatic was received more positively, as the story was clearer. There were two main pieces of criticism for this one that we worked on; 1. the ambience in the beginning sounds like a kitchen instead of a bedroom, and 2. it still isn’t very clear when the scene changes between the book and real life. For the ambience issue, I simply found a different atmospheric sound effect and applied it to the beginning, and for the second issue, my team came up with the solution to use harmony’s charcoal texture for the book scene lines, giving it a hand pencil drawn effect. We’d also colour with this brush, setting the book’s texture apart from the real life scenes, and change the appearance of characters in the book so that they looked more simplistic, with round dot eyes and softer features.

The change in texture

As mentioned before, I also added some sounds to this version of the animatic; our first one felt a little bit empty, So I added some simple things such as ambience and subtle sound effects, along with making things like walking and fabric sounds louder.

With all of our changes implemented, we were ready to start the animation.

For my scenes I spent 2 days on each of them; one on rough animation and line art, and another on colouring. In hindsight it was a bad idea, as I didn’t give myself time to perfect many things in the animation and I felt severely burned out due to not taking any breaks. Because of this I ended up missing a lot of my own mistakes, such as the fact that I forgot to include seats in the car with the boy and police dog, pictured above. Still, I managed to complete my scenes each on time. I tried to use some harmony techniques we had learned in class, such as camera moves and tweening.

Here is our final animation. Overall, I feel it works well and the scenes flow into each other nicely. The colour palette is effective in creating a peaceful and warm bedtime scene, and the shots have enough variety to keep the viewing experience from getting stale. The sounds also match the footage well, and the timings aren’t too awkward; I like the transitions between shots too, as they’re imaginative.

To improve, I think we could work on our consistency; the animation quality varied at times, and some things looked a bit different between shots, such as the colour of the door frame changing from white to brown. More attention to detail will prevent these things from happening in the future.

I feel like i have improved my cooperative skills through this project, as I was able to approach my teammates more easily than I have been in the past. I also feel like I managed to stay within my time frames well, although a more specific schedule would’ve been useful to me. Going forward, I’ll pay more attention to detail in my animations, and allow myself enough time to live life away from my project and take some breaks while animating, as it refreshes my head. I look forward to further developing my skills with our next project.