Jahiem's blog

Welcome ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Digital drawing toolkit (2)

| 0 comments

CLASSWORK

Task 1- to draw a coloured ball and add accurate shadows and highlights, reference image below. When finished, draw another coloured ball with light coming from a different direction.

My feedback; the left ball (basic) needs more of a strong terminator, stronger lighting and shadows overall would prevent it from looking so flat. Ball on the right (low light) received similar criticisms, and the bottom shadow should actually be on the top, as light is coming from underneath the ball. Terminator should also be a bit lower.

Task 2- choose a scene from a film and analyse the effects of the lighting. (quick task; no feedback)

(Kubo and the two strings, 2016)

My points;

1. low lighting combined with the angle gives a sense of suspense
  2. bright yellow shade of the light contrasts with the paler blue light coming in from the left (taken further; the colour is ‘safe’ and ‘warm’ in contrast with the atmosphere of the scene)
  3. we expect some kind of a grand reveal
  4. contrast on character faces due to the shadows

HOMEWORK

Objective- create a digital tonal drawing of a composition with 4 components, differing in size and shape; use an artificial light source.

My work; a book, remote, glue stick and bottle. Details left out to focus primarily on tone.