Jahiem's blog

Welcome ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Final game arts post- colouring and the final outcome

| 0 comments

For my final game arts class, i had to come up with a colour palette for my sloth character, and present the final outcome.

Colouring was the part of this process i was initially the most lost with, because i’d usually just go with whatever colour palette first popped into mu head with art. This time, i was challenged to experiment with different palette, and i had to put a lot of thought into each one.

These were the 4 palettes i came up with. For the first palette, i used mostly colours from my mood-board; my goal was to give a more ‘sleepy’ feeling to my character through the use of my colour palette, but to me this palette ended up looking more energetic than relaxed because the colours were really bright and different from each other.

For my second palette i tried to fix the problem i had run into on the first palette by using more pastel and dark colours, with a bright yellow to add some contrast. I liked the turn out of this palette, and i strongly considered using it as my final one.

For my third palette, i wanted the character to look a little more demonic. While keeping most of her colours blue (from my research i knew that blue was a colour associated with sloth) and darker/pastel, i gave her red skin to give her a bit of a traditional demon look. I really liked this turn out as it was a perfect balance between ‘sloth’ as a concept and a demon character. I also think the red contrasted the blue well without looking too bright and lively, and the contrast between red and blue kind of reminds me of the contrast between the character being super lazy (which isn’t a very threatening concept) and the fact that she’s a demon, a typically malicious and scary being.

For my final palette I wanted to try something more natural looking, because i was curious about how it would turn out. I liked the blue gradient on her clothes, but outside of that i thought this palette made the design look a little bland.

I shaded each palette, but highlights didn’t really look right on the drawing (most probably because of the fact that i haven’t experimented enough with colouring as of now) so i ended up not including them in my finished work. I tired to carefully consider where shadows would fall on this drawing, but looking back i feel maybe i could’ve exaggerated the darker areas better, maybe by using a darker colour for shading.

I ended up going with my third palette for the final outcome, as it complemented the design best in my opinion. I drew a background and thought up a quick logo and description of the character, and the game she would be in. I decided to name her ‘Oneiri’, after the word ‘Oneiric’ which means ‘in relation to dreams’ in film theory.

Overall, i enjoyed this rotation a lot, even though it did stress me out a little. I enjoyed how imaginative it was; there wasn’t really a limit on what we could do with the character, and we were encouraged to work in our own styles or use a style that suited us best. I was also able to look back on my steps and analyze them a lot since it didn’t take too long, which made me realize that i have some work to do on A) my drawing skills and B) my character designing skills; although i like my design, i feel i didn’t really end up applying much research to the final outcome, and i might’ve lacked research and influences overall. I’ll take what i learned on this rotation with me into the future and use it to try and become someone who can create more meticulously designed characters, and draw them out a little better. I’d also like to explore my ideas a little better in the future, and work outside of my comfort zone while creating characters.

the finished set;